Microwaves have become indispensable appliances in most contemporary kitchens, providing a quick and convenient way to warm up meals and drinks in minutes. However, microwaves can become dirty and grimy with food spills and splatters over time. To keep your microwave clean and functioning at its best, follow these easy microwave cleaning hacks and tips for a spotless and hygienic microwave.
How to Clean the Inside of a Microwave
- Unplug the microwave and remove the turntable plate and any other removable parts.
- Pour warm water into a bowl and add several drops of dishwashing liquid, creating a mild yet effective cleaning solution.
- Dip a soft sponge or cloth into the soapy water and gently scrub the interior surfaces, paying special attention to any stubborn stains or dried-on food particles.
- Gently cleanse the microwave’s interior using a fresh, damp cloth, ensuring the removal of any lingering soap traces.
- Dry the interior with a clean cloth, then replace the turntable plate and other parts.
Microwave Cleaning Hacks
Now that we’ve covered the basics about how to clean a microwave let’s explore some creative and effective microwave cleaning hacks:
Clean Microwave with Vinegar
- Mix 1 cup of water with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar in a microwave-safe bowl to create an efficient and effective cleaning solution.
- Place the bowl inside the microwave and microwave it on high for 5 minutes, letting the solution do its deep-cleaning wonders.
- Carefully remove the bowl (it will be hot!) and wipe the interior with a clean cloth. The steam from the vinegar solution will help loosen any stubborn grime.
Clean Microwave with Lemon
- Slice a lemon in half and put both pieces into a microwave-safe dish containing ½ cup of water, prepping the citrusy solution for action.
- Set the microwave to high and cook the dish for 3 minutes, then let it sit undisturbed for 5 minutes with the door shut.
- Remove the dish and wipe the interior with a clean cloth. The lemony steam will break down grease and grime, leaving a fresh citrus scent.
Clean Microwave with Baking Soda
- Create a cleansing paste by combining 2 parts baking soda with 1 part water, forming an effective, homemade cleaning solution.
- Apply the paste to the interior of the microwave, focusing on stained or greasy areas.
- Allow the paste to work its magic for 5-10 minutes, and then gently remove it using a damp cloth, revealing a clean surface. Baking soda is a natural deodorizer and cleaning agent that can tackle tough stains.
Clean Microwave with Dish Soap
- Pour 1 cup of water into a microwave-safe bowl and add a few drops of dishwashing liquid, preparing a gentle yet efficient cleaning mixture.
- Microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- After taking the bowl out, utilize a sponge or cloth to diligently eliminate any lingering dirt and grime from the microwave’s interior.
Steam Clean Microwave
- Add 1 cup of water to a microwave-safe bowl and introduce a few slices of citrus fruit or a dash of vinegar, creating an aromatic and effective cleaning solution.
- Microwave on high for 5 minutes, allowing the steam to work magic.
- Wipe the interior clean with a cloth or sponge.
How Often To Clean a Microwave
To maintain a clean and hygienic microwave, giving it a quick wipe down after every use is a good idea. For more thorough cleaning, follow one of the above methods at least once a month or as needed, depending on how often you use your microwave.
Microwave Cleaning Tips to Keep It Long Lasting
- Always cover food with a microwave-safe lid or paper towel to prevent splatters.
- Clean spills and splatters promptly to avoid buildup and odors.
- Inspect the microwave’s door seal and hinges for damage and repair or replace them as necessary.
- Maintain a pristine exterior by gently wiping it down using a damp cloth and a gentle cleaning solution, ensuring the microwave looks as good as it performs.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for proper care and maintenance to ensure your microwave continues to work efficiently.
Bonus Tips for a Sparkling Microwave
- Remember to clean the microwave’s vents and fan. Dust and grease can accumulate in these areas, affecting the appliance’s performance. Use a soft brush or cloth to clean the vents gently and consult your owner’s manual for specific cleaning instructions for the fan.
- Clean the microwave’s control panel with care. Use a damp cloth or sponge with a mild cleaning solution, and avoid spraying cleaner directly onto the buttons or display. This will help prevent any damage to the electronic components.
- For microwaves with a detachable turntable, feel confident in giving it a thorough scrub to ensure optimal cleanliness and performance. Remove the turntable from the microwave and wash it thoroughly with warm, soapy water. Put it in the dishwasher if it’s dishwasher-safe, ensuring it’s entirely dry before placing it back into the microwave.
- To maintain a fresh-smelling microwave, place a small dish of baking soda or a few drops of vanilla extract on a plate inside the microwave when it’s not in use. This will help absorb and neutralize any lingering odors.
- Remember to clean the microwave door, both inside and out. Use equal water and white vinegar to wipe down the glass and door frame gently. Dry it with a clean cloth to prevent streaks and ensure a crystal-clear view.
By embracing these simple yet effective microwave cleaning hacks and suggestions, you’ll be well on your journey to keeping your microwave pristine, functional, and durable. Your kitchen will not only appear and smell more inviting, but you’ll also reap the rewards of a cleaner, more efficient device. So, it’s time to get your hands dirty and show your microwave some much-needed tender loving care!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the easiest way to clean a microwave?
The easiest way to clean a microwave is using a steam cleaning method with a lemon and water mixture. Cut a lemon in half, squeeze the juice into a microwave-safe bowl, and add the lemon halves. Fill the bowl halfway with water. Microwave on high for 3-5 minutes, allowing steam to loosen grime. Carefully remove the hot bowl, then wipe the interior with a damp cloth or sponge to remove residue.
What is the quickest way to clean a microwave?
The quickest way to clean a microwave is by using a damp cloth or sponge with dish soap. Unplug the microwave, remove any loose debris, and dampen the cloth or sponge with warm soapy water. Wipe the interior surfaces, paying attention to stubborn stains or spills. For harder grime, let the soapy solution sit for a minute before wiping. Finally, dry the surfaces with a clean cloth or paper towel.
How do you clean a microwave with vinegar and water?
To clean a microwave using vinegar and water, mix the same amount of regular white vinegar and water in a bowl safe for microwaves. Place the bowl inside and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes, creating steam to loosen the grime. Carefully remove the hot bowl using oven mitts. Wipe the interior surfaces with a damp cloth or sponge, focusing on stubborn stains. Finish by drying with a clean cloth or paper towel.
What should you not use to clean a microwave?
Avoid using abrasive cleaners, metal scouring pads, or harsh chemicals like bleach and ammonia to clean a microwave, as they can damage surfaces or create harmful fumes. Additionally, don’t use sharp tools to remove stuck-on food, as they can scratch the interior. Instead, use gentle cleaning methods with mild soap, water, vinegar, lemon juice, and a soft cloth or sponge.
What is the best cleaner for the inside of a microwave?
The best cleaner for the inside of a microwave is a natural and effective solution made with equal parts distilled white vinegar and water or lemon juice and water. These mixtures create steam when heated, loosening grime and odors without damaging surfaces. Use mild dish soap and warm water with a soft cloth or sponge for general cleaning to gently remove dirt and spills.